Having been a contractor & consultant for many years and knowing many freelancers and other folks just looking for work I figured it might be beneficial for me to share my bookmarks and tips on job hunting in general. Since the recession of 2009 and with 10% unemployment at the time of this post, people need all the opportunities and tips they can get. Although I haven’t had a job in 7 years, there are many times I’ve been asked by friends and colleagues about how to find a job or gig.
There are many sites out there that I probably haven’t covered but here are some:
Freelance or Gig Sites
More Job Sites and articles that you may find of use.
- The Top 50 Job Hunting Sites for Job-Seekers, 1-10
- Recession Job Hunting Tips
- ZipRecruiter – Post your job to many sites!
Some Tips for Job Hunting
- Get your friends or colleagues and professional recruiters to tell you what they would recommend changing on your resume, cover letters or your job seeking in general
- I recommend you use Google Reader and subscribe to RSS feeds if available from sites that provide RSS especially if the RSS is broken down by category.
- Create some canned cover letters ready to attach to your resume for any job that requires you to submit a letter.
- Try to focus your job search to jobs that you are highly suited to and that are using the right keywords that head hunters or recruiters are looking for.
- If you are seeking a technical position, more than one page is acceptable (many people think that anything more than one page is too much) so try to condense your most recent 5-years of job experience history to 2 pages total..
- Some of the sites above allow you to set search agents and multiple resumes.
- Some of the sites above are not meant for every type of job.
- Consider volunteering your time to a non-profit that may need volunteer help.
Latest posts by Omar Uddin (see all)
- Simplify Positioning For Your Startup, Product or Offer - May 27, 2012
- Simple Spinnakr WordPress Plugin - May 3, 2012
- Dashboard.io Startup Metrics for Pirates WordPress Plugin - June 15, 2011